Skip to main content

Unit 4: Assignment brief

kimono

 

 Purpose of this assignment: This unit aims to develop the breadth and depth of learner's knowledge and understanding of and skills in communication through art and design. Learners will achieve this by studying how practioners use primarily visual imagery to communicate ideas, messages and meaning, and then applying findings to their own ideas.

In the workshops for this unit you have already experimented with 2-dimensional shape using collage, and 3-dimensional form using recycled materials, and you should also have researched an item from the V&A museum.

The theme for this assignment is KIMONO - this can be interpreted in any way you like, as long as you show how your work links to an item on display in the current "Kimono - Kyoto to catwalk" exhibition at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London.

Scenario: Your design are to be for Spring/Summer 2021, for a company that produces a catwalk collection - see https://www.vogue.co.uk/shows  for ideas.

Task 1:

Research your interpretation of the theme of "KIMONO". Consider the following ways of generating and developing ideas: mind mapping, word association, primary source photography and drawing, internet & book research, making samples and prototypes.

Task 2:

In order to aim your designs at a specific audience, research the target market that you choose - provide evidence of this in the form of images and annotations. You should consider the type of items they manufacture and how they are marketed when designing your garments

Task 3:

Provide evidence of the development of your ideas -  aim to show your journey from your research to your garment designs. You can use ideas from the collage or cardboard workshops if you want to. You should also experiment with different media/processes to find those most suitable for communicating successfully with your intended market.

Task 4:

Sketch/collage at least 12 rough outfit designs -  annotated full figures with front and back wiewsand you should also indicate what colour and fabric you intend them to be. Again, remember to consider what clothing styles/colours/fabrics would be suitable for your market.

Task 5:

Produce a fashion illustration of your final fashion design - minimum size A3. Aim to use illustration styles/ and presentation techniques that would be attractive to your market.

Task 6:

Evaluate your work for this assignement- say how you think your work is suitable for the market you have chosen, and how it represents your theme.

 

1A. Research into an item in the Kimono exhibition
1. Research your interpretation of the theme of "KIMONO"

2. Research the target market
3. Evidence of the development of theme/ideas/experimentation
4. At least 12 alternative rough fashion figure sketches of your outfits
5. Fashion illustration of the final design
6. Evaluation


Unit Unit 4: Communication through Art & Design
Date issued Thursday 5th March 2020
Hand in deadline Thursday 2nd April 2020

Comments

Other posts

TROUSERS - History and preparation for UNIT 121: pattern Construction

  Xmas Holidays,be festive, home chores, homework for January, homework for the holiday period, meanwhile working in a new place... I always plan to relax and be lazy for the holidays, as well because I usually work more during the festive seasons ( damn hospitality jobs) but I always ended up in my studio trying to make something new (usually with meltdowns involved) or studying (looking nerdier than what people could think). So, here I am on my first official real day off, just after Xmas, searching and collecting info about my next Unit, Unit 121. Unit 121, it's a fashion college unit, about Pattern Construction, in this case, Trousers construction. (with all this Buffynism all around, I read in my mind Room 314 instead of unit 121, eh eh- I m losing my s***t) I am really excited, because I never adventure into making any trousers from scratch and rarely made some repair or alteration on it. It's a scary section from a beginner, so I am really happy to deal wi...

Kimono inspirations, Task 1 -Unit 4

  Task 1: Research your interpretation of the theme of "KIMONO". Consider the following ways of generating and developing ideas: mind mapping, word association, primary source photography and drawing, internet & book research, making samples and prototypes. Being honest with you, I do not have ideas for this unit yet, so I am going to try some different techniques to gain some info and ideas. I don't know so much about kimonos in order to deconstruct the idea of it, I will collect some informations and inspirations. First I did a mind mapping of some basic technical info about kimonos: Then some word associations with all the thing that comes in my mind right now... (about kimonos, but just to let you know I am thinking about making some gnocchi too...)     Because I have mentioned that, there are many kinds of Kimono types and of obi styles, I will collect some photos of the differences between each type, in order to see which could be my inspirat...
  ๐Ÿ‘‹Hello to you Reader!๐Ÿ™‹ Everything here it's a working in progress at the moment, omg...!  I still need to sort out lots of things! So, let 's start from the beginning!

Translate