Skip to main content

Production Techniques for Fashion & Clothing: Unit 124

 

Blouse by the Elisarium mutton sleeve detail 

Purpose of this assignment:

The aim of this unit is to develop learners' skills and understanding of the range of fabrics and materials, equipment, and production processes used within the manufacture of fashion garments.

Scenario

Frill

Noun
- a trimming, as a strip of cloth or lace, gathered at one edge and left loose at the other; ruffle.

During the workshops you will have investigated different types of frills and practiced constructing them in different fabrics, and also experimented with how to use them creatively to embellish or create a garment.

You are now asked to construct a well finished sample garment.

The rules:

    • make either a men's calico shirt- fastened with a button stand, or a women's calico bodice/jacket - with centre back facing, fastened with a tape tie at the nape of the nec.

      • Sleeves, neck and/or hem edges are to be finished with frills, which may also be used to cut into, cover or extend the garment.

  • The objective: to show creative and skilful use of as many different materials as possible, whilst still maintaining an aesthetically pleasing appearance and neat finish.

    This should be accompanied by your sketchbook, which should include a selection of samples and detailed production process requirements.

Task1:

Produce samples of ruffles: at least 3 in calico & 5 in different materials. Try to use the whole width of the fabric (approx. 150cm) to produce substantial ruffles, and practice different ways of attaching them to fabric, as well as experimenting with different placements on the body.

Present photos of these experiments, as well as your samples, in a sketchbook & annotate them -consider how to use different fabrics and techniques to their best advantage and think about how you would attach them to a garment.
(Note: you can use these sample ruffles in your garment if you wish, but please take photos of them first & present them as samples in your sketchbook)

Task2:

Using the college blocks, construct a man's shirt (fastened with a button stand) or a women's bodice or jacket (fastened with a tie at the nape of the neck) in calico.

Task3:

Construct your garment. you are aiming for a creative yet well-finished piece that makes the most of a range of different fabrics, and also shows off your technical skills. Remember that your constructed frills can be used to cut into, cover or extend your garmen t.

Make sure that you provide evidence of the following in your sketchbook as you work:

  • Sequence of operation/ step by step
  • Risk assessment

Task4:

Take a photo of your finished garments & print it out (A4-size). Evaluate your work.

Evidence checklist

ketchbook including:

  •  Annotated samples of ruffles -at least 3 different techniques in calico, at least 5 different fabrics.
  • Sequence of operation with sketches/photos
  • Risk assessment
  • A4 photo and evaluation

Finished sample garment

 

Frills, Ruffles, Flounce, Pleats and Rouches there are so many term in fashion and sometime the confusion it's palpable!

So, for my own sake and the reader one's,  I gather (fashion pun intended!) together the definition of each one from the Collins.

Frills: a gathered, pleated, or bias-cut fabric edging used on clothing. Figuratively it also refers to something decorative or useful and desirable but not essential.

Ruffles: a pleated piece of decorative fabric often used as trim on clothes. The word ruffle is mysterious, but it might be from the Low German word ruffelen which means "to wrinkle."

Flounces: a piece of cloth that has been sewn into folds and put around the edge of something, for example a gown with a flounce around the hem, or a skirt, tablecloth, curtain. Such meaning of 'flounce' first was recorded in 1665–75!

Pleats: a double or multiple fold formed by doubling back fabric and pressing, stitching or steaming into place. From Old French pleit, from Latin plicฤre to fold

Rouches: a strip of pleated or frilled lawn, lace, etc, used to decorate blouses,  dresses, etc, or worn around the neck like a small ruff  as in the 16th century. The word generate from French, literally: beehive and from Medieval Latin rลซsca, bark of a tree.

Don't you see a pattern here?๐Ÿคจ๐Ÿ˜

Task1:

Produce samples of ruffles: at least 3 in calico & 5 in different materials. Try to use the whole width of the fabric (approx. 150cm) to produce substantial ruffles, and practice different ways of attaching them to fabric, as well as experimenting with different placements on the body.

Present photos of these experiments, as well as your samples, in a sketchbook & annotate them -consider how to use different fabrics and techniques to their best advantage and think about how you would attach them to a garment.

Sample 1

Narrow double edge ruffles, on calico fabric

double edge ruffles

Double edge ruffles are made with a single strip of fabric gathered by one or two basting stitches in the middle.

For my sample I used two stiches close together. This results in ruffles on both sides of the fabric.

They’re often used as an embellishment, typically used to disguise hemlines or for collars.

Detail

detail double edge ruffle

Sample 2

Wider double edge ruffle on calico fabric

larger double edge ruffles

Same as the first sample, the only difference it's the widht between the two stiches, way larger than the first sample, in order to experiments with the result.

It is a lavish and rich effect, created with such a little effort! Perfect for dresses or skirt.

Detail

large double edge ruffles detail

Sample 3

Flounce on calico fabric

Circular ruffle

Flounce or circular ruffle, it is a pretty easy ruffle to made and once you understood the process, it's really fast creating meters of it!

It is usually sewn between the seams of a garment, often used for shirts or blouses.

example of flounce or circular ruffle

Sample 4

Shoulder circular ruffle on calico fabric

circular ruffle shoulder piece

It is a simple piece used as embellishement for the shoulders of a garment.

It is made by drawing a circular shape of your desired size and a smaller one, inside the big circle, big enough for your shoulder/armhole size. You need to place it like the one in the photo, connect the circle with a straight line in the area where le circles are closer. Add SA for both circles and the line, you need 4 pieces of it.

Stich 2 pieces, right sides together, stiching the outer one and the smaller one, stop before the line.

Cut the line and fold over, press with an iron, they are done!

You can sew them between the sleeve and the bodice for an ecclectic shoulder embellisment! I didn't found any photos as example, so I reckon it's a cleaver little fashion thing made by my fashion tutors!

Sample 5

Rouche on synthetic fabric

 

Rouche on synthetic fabric

Similar to  Shirring  I  rouched with cotton thread a stripe of synthetic fabric.Shirring is a gathering technique done with elastic thread, which creates a stretchy garment. Elastic thread is used in the bobbin, causing the fabric to gather up when stitched. Ruching instead is made by creating two or more parallel lines of gathering.

It can be used for front/back of the bodice.

Detail of the back

Rouched synthetic fabric

Sample 6

Rouches on polyester fabric

Rouched polyester fabric

Rouches on a piece of polyester fabric for another experiment of frills on differente samples.

The ruffled polyester result to be sturdy, so I will suggest for application in sof furnishing, cushions or curtains.

Detail

detail of rouches on polyester fabric

Sample 7

Ruffles on folded chiffon

ruffles on chiffon

Example of ruffled chiffon as test for my final garment. This chiffon ruffles are perfect forany garment embellishment.

Detail

ruffles on chiffon

Sample 8

Ruffles on sateen ribbon

 Plain, one thread gathering ruffle. Perfect for finishing edges on lingerie, dress or cushions.

Detail:

ruffles on sateen ribbon

Sample 9

Two threads ruffles on elastic velvet

ruffles on red elastic velvet

 Another experiment with a simple two stiches ruffle on elastic velvet.

It can be used on a dress's hem or for a neckline any kind of garment or soft furnishing embellishment.

Detail:

detail of velvet ruffle

 

Task2:

Using the college blocks, construct a man's shirt (fastened with a button stand) or a women's bodice or jacket (fastened with a tie at the nape of the neck) in calico.

For the task, I have decided to start with a plain women shirt block, with the the nape at the back.

I have made it in calico because it is a plain mock as base for the project and I ve decided to use a medium wide mutton sleeves.

I ve created the mock of the shirt as a starting point idea, but my inspirations for the project were a bit different, from what the block looked like.

I am showing here the mock shirt with the back closure, then some of the inspirations from the project and some actual sketches for the final.

mock of a  women's shirt with back closure

Such a fancy straightjacket innit?!mock of a  women's shirt with back closure, detail of the mutton sleeves

Detail of the mutton sleeve

mock of a women's shirt with back closure with a bow

Details of the back and bow closure

Some inspirations:

For this project I was looking for opulence, trying to go "bigger" as my tutor often demands! These are some of the inspirations:

photos from Comme Des Garรงons Autumn/Winter 2016 Ready-To-Wear

Comme Des Garรงons Autumn/Winter 2016 Ready-To-Wear.

Valentino at Paris Fashion Week Spring 2006

Valentino at Paris Fashion Week Spring 2006

Vivetta at Milan Fashion Week Spring 2017 blueVivetta at Milan Fashion Week Spring 2017.

Vivetta at Milan Fashion Week Spring 2017. pink

Vivetta at Milan Fashion Week Spring 2017.

The Vivetta Spring collection of 2017, still obsess me since 2017, so I really wanted to make something similar, but the lockdown and the shortage of materials, create some troubles and collided with my ideas! I had to go and turn around with the original ideas, colours, materials and final results.

So my first idea was to execute something extremely similar to the beautiful Vivetta blouse, with the addition of mutton sleeves, but then I slightly change a bit of elements and in the making I changed things a bit more!

2nd concept

Final concept

From the Vivetta inspiration, I went big and project a full ruffled blouse, keeping a lace piece in the middle front and adding the mutton sleeves.

The second concept had a piece of lace trimming going from the neckline front to the back and going to be closed as a bow. The top didn't have any big ruffle at the bottom hem, but just a straight finish. The mutton sleeves are gathered at the botton too and finished with lace trimming as the neckline. The back had the bow closure on top and 3 pearls botton held with blue sateen ribbon (reminascent of a bridal garment).

The finished concept it's more simplified, the sleeve are mutton sleeves with a straigh simple seam at the bottom, no bottons or lace trimming, keeping the garment on two shades of blue, I had a double big ruffle at the bottom, that gives a ballerina vibe and the back as a big and long bow closure, that make the outfit like a big chiffon present.

Task3:

Construct your garment. you are aiming for a creative yet well-finished piece that makes the most of a range of different fabrics, and also shows off your technical skills. Remember that your constructed frills can be used to cut into, cover or extend your garmen t.

Make sure that you provide evidence of the following in your sketchbook as you work:

  • Sequence of operation/ step by step
  • Risk assessment

 Example of Risk assessment chart:

example of a fashion risk assessment chart

Risk assesment for Ruffles, Frills and Rouches

What are the hazards? Who might be harmed and how? What are you already doing? Do you need to do anything else to manage the risk? Action by whom?
Slips and trips Students/staff may be injured if they trip over objects or slip on spillages

Mantain general good housekeeping.

Keep work areas clear; coats & bags to be kept under tables. Don't allow leads or cable to trail.

Notify staff of any spillages to clear up immediately.  All students and staff.
Needles & Pins Students and staff can be hurt Sweeping up any pins on the ground. Dispose of broken needles and pins in a waste box Students and staff.
Sewing machine Students may hurt hands with the needle. Using machine carefully, staying vigilant and focused. Teach students the proper use for the machine, supervise the student on the first uses of it. Students and staff.
Overlocking machine Students may hurt hands with the needles or the blade. Using machine carefully, staying vigilant and focused. Teach students the proper use for the machine, supervise the student on the first uses of it.

Students and staff.

Scissors Students/staff accidentally cut themselfs or harm someone Holding and passing scissors downwards Notify people when passing by

All students and staff

Fire Exit Students and teachers may be endangered if the fire exit it's blocked. Ensure exits are clear and kept clear at all times. Ask everyone to keep the area tidy and don't obstruct any exit

All students and staff

Eating/drinking Students, they could get in contact with harmuful chemicals or spill drinks on electrical equipments Keep food and drinks away from the working area Ask everyone to leave the area for food or coffee ect breaks.

Students and staff

Sequence of operation/ step by step

Materials and tools used:

-For this final project I used a wide amount of stripes of blue chiffon, they were pre-overlocked. I will say they were approx 30 stripes of rughly 22cm x almost 3meters each.

-I used a piece of streched blue lace strips, that I have arranged into a front piece.

-1 full bobbin of cotton thread, blue

- One small scissors and a large one

-Seam ripper

-Pins and small pegs

- A mannequin it is really helpful in this project

- I used a teflon machine foot, to slide easily the chiffon through the machine, you can use a ruffler foot or gathering foot or even a normal one.

- A mutton sleeve pattern

How, step by step:

1- Using a mannequin I draped 1 stripe of chiffon, previously cut in half,  and used each half for one side of front/back and the other.

Chiffon blouse by the elisarium

2- I cut pieces of strech lace, following the drawings on it.

I sewn them together in order to create a "T" shape front piece of my desired size.

the elisarium

3- I sewn together with a french seam, 2 folded pieces of striped chiffon (you can use more or less, depending how see-trought you want your sleeves). I sewn the pieces together to have a larger piece of fabric to trace my mutton sleeve pattern.

Chiffon blouse by the elisarium

4- Trace the sleeve pattern, be sure to add SA, to note were is the front and back point and to be sure you aren't doing 2 rights or 2 lefts sleeves! Sewn them and pin them on the manniquin.

5- After the sleeves, we need to tackle the most time-consuming part of the blouse, a busy front panel, that consinst in a dense and full amount of different ruffles. I've split each stripe in 4 pieces, first in half and then in half lenghtwise.

6- Cut a good number of these stripes around at least 10 for each side of the front, I as well made some larger ones (around 4 for each side) made by just cutting in half one of the stripes.

7- Chiffon it's a tricky fabric, that tends to frail easily, so fold the edges that aren't overlocked and use pins and pegs to be sure you secure each stripes. This will prevent the chiffon from frailing.

Chiffon blouse by the elisarium

8- Using your sewing machine, gather each and every stripe ( use the longest lenght of stiches like 4, same for the pressure). When are all done, (there are chances you are gonna need more of those later on, but try to do a good amount all together) try to pull them from the bottom bobbin, in order to create chiffon ruffles.

Chiffon blouse by the elisarium

9- On the bodice pieces do a little rouche, where you want your ruffles to stop (so you got a guide and a shoulder embellishment). Use the larger ruffles for the sides of the bodice, pin them into place and sewn them from the outer side going to the inside, ONE BY ONE! Patience and costance it's essential.

10- When you saw the next ruffle, keep the previous away, using some pins, this will avoid the mess of overlapping ruffles one on top of the other.

Chiffon blouse by the elisarium

11- when a good amount of ruffles it's sewn on the front bodice, place the lace pieces, in the way you desire, in this way you know when you should stop stiching ruffles.

12-When you are closer to the center, you can start stiching the lace piece on the front side with the ruffles.

Chiffon blouse by the elisarium

13- Fill all the side with ruffles, arranged as you prefer, the aim it's to cover the more we can in order to have a dense busy side. When finished, do exactly the same for the other side, until everything it's full of ruffles.

Chiffon blouse by the elisariumChiffon blouse by the elisarium

14- Now it's time to think about the back of the garment and the bottom, prepare a big ruffle, made with 2 fulllenght stripes of chiffon, almost folded in half leghtwise, and gathered at the top. (folded as the one in the photo)

Chiffon blouse by the elisarium

15- When the ruffle it's ready, pin it into the garment, starting from the back bodice (fold the hem of it before), I advise to start sewing slowly in 4 diffent times, so you can better control the result and secure it. The front it's busy and full of fabric, so it can be really tricky to stitch together, take your time and do bit by bit.

16- fold 2 stripes of chiffon four times (2 side fold into the middle and then fold everything again) secure everything with pins and sew both stripes

stripes for a chiffon blouse, the elisarium

17- Secure the to stripes on per side of the back of the garment, choose the position you prefer, we opted to attach them from the sides closest to the first ruffles, in order to be more sturdy and camuflage a bit of the stiches behind the larger ruffles.

the elisarium blouse

18- After you decided the position, stich a little square in order to secure the stripes in a strong way with no chances of pull it off. Now you can close your blouse with a big bow closure at the back!

Blouse by the elisarium, back

 

Blouse by the elisarium, front detail

 

Blouse by the elisarium, front

 

Task4:

Take a photo of your finished garments & print it out (A4-size). Evaluate your work.

In order to better show the garment, I've asked the lovely Shardoney to pose for me with the Blouse, it honestly looks gorgeous on her!

Here some pics, before the evaluation.

Blouse by the Elisarium back detailBack detail

Blouse by the Elisarium side detailSide viewBlouse by the Elisarium mutton sleeve detail Mutton Sleeve Detail

Blouse by the Elisarium shoulder detailShoulder detailBlouse by the Elisarium front detailFront detailBlouse by the Elisarium front detail

Evaluation

For the first time, I feel proud and confident that I have fullfilled the points of the assignment and create almost an High fashion garment.

It is definately the most complicated garment I ve done, (yet!) it made me go crazy numerous times and, at least a couple of times, I was close to burn it  down and send it to hell, where it probably came from!

It isn't my cup of tea, I had to dive deep into hidden sides of me, "going big" and giving a great big statment garment that screams: "here I am". Something ipergracefully and superdelicate and intricated, and even if I love blue and its shades, I preferred a black fabric. So it was quite the opposite of anything I like, but now that it is finished I actually love it.

(the compliments of other fellow students from my year and first year, really boosted my confidence too!)

I love how the back closes now, I think it is a better functioning and good looking way, that my original idea, it looks like a beautiful present wrapping!

I think was a good idea to eliminate the other strips of lace of the original plan, and keep it, for what is possible simpler!

I still wish I have done it in black, with a beautiful lace leafs piece I had, infact the front lace it's the only element that doesn't convince me fully.

fabric samples

I wish I had the right amount of a different fabric, like for example black powernet or black cotton organdie.

I had promised last year, to never ever used again organza o chiffon, to avoid any personal meltdowns! But in the end I did it again and after the meltdowns I am actually happy of the shine that the chiffon gives to the garment and how beautiful the dense ruffles look on it.

I really love the balance created between the overcrowded front and the seetrough back.

I am really happy that the garment it's done with scraps, even if it looks like an high brand garment!

Overall the mistakes are little and minimal and can be easily corrected for another piece, but I will definetly don't wanna see ruffles for an year, at least, after that! This blouse drove me mad, even if I m really proud of it!

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Other posts

TROUSERS - History and preparation for UNIT 121: pattern Construction

  Xmas Holidays,be festive, home chores, homework for January, homework for the holiday period, meanwhile working in a new place... I always plan to relax and be lazy for the holidays, as well because I usually work more during the festive seasons ( damn hospitality jobs) but I always ended up in my studio trying to make something new (usually with meltdowns involved) or studying (looking nerdier than what people could think). So, here I am on my first official real day off, just after Xmas, searching and collecting info about my next Unit, Unit 121. Unit 121, it's a fashion college unit, about Pattern Construction, in this case, Trousers construction. (with all this Buffynism all around, I read in my mind Room 314 instead of unit 121, eh eh- I m losing my s***t) I am really excited, because I never adventure into making any trousers from scratch and rarely made some repair or alteration on it. It's a scary section from a beginner, so I am really happy to deal wi...

Kimono inspirations, Task 1 -Unit 4

  Task 1: Research your interpretation of the theme of "KIMONO". Consider the following ways of generating and developing ideas: mind mapping, word association, primary source photography and drawing, internet & book research, making samples and prototypes. Being honest with you, I do not have ideas for this unit yet, so I am going to try some different techniques to gain some info and ideas. I don't know so much about kimonos in order to deconstruct the idea of it, I will collect some informations and inspirations. First I did a mind mapping of some basic technical info about kimonos: Then some word associations with all the thing that comes in my mind right now... (about kimonos, but just to let you know I am thinking about making some gnocchi too...)     Because I have mentioned that, there are many kinds of Kimono types and of obi styles, I will collect some photos of the differences between each type, in order to see which could be my inspirat...
  ๐Ÿ‘‹Hello to you Reader!๐Ÿ™‹ Everything here it's a working in progress at the moment, omg...!  I still need to sort out lots of things! So, let 's start from the beginning!

Translate